In this tutorial we will take a video file and encode it to IIS Smooth Streaming, then publish those files with IIS Media Services. There are a few things that need to be installed before we can proceed:
- Launch Microsoft Expression Encoder and select Transcoding Project.
- Click the Import button below and select your video/audio file.
- Switch the Output Format to IIS Smooth Streaming, and click Encode.
- After a length of time, depending on the size of the file, your encoding will be complete and you can close out of Expression Encoder.
- Go to: C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Expression\Expression Encoder\Output
- Open the newly created stream folder and copy the contents into: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\YOUR_DIRECTORY
- Open the extracted files from the SmoothStreamingPlayer.exe and copy those files to: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\YOUR_DIRECTORY
- Rename the SmoothStreamingPlayer.html file to index.html, then edit the file and replace the following code:
<param name="InitParams" value="selectedcaptionstream=textstream_eng,mediaurl=http://YOUR_SERVER/YOUR_DIRECTORY/YOUR_ISM_FILE.ism/manifest" />
- You’re all done! Now test it out by going to: http://YOUR_SERVER/YOUR_DIRECTORY
- To view your published files launch IIS, drill down to your website directory and select Content View.